Thursday, September 22, 2016

#15 Temperature violation (HOA)

Every year, my institute have to order some reference agents from NIBSC for purpose establishment secondary standards and control quality vaccines.
This shipment was dispatched from NIBSC, England to Hanoi, Vietnam. They dispatched the parcel though DHL on Mon, Mar 7th. DHL sent the parcel pass though Germany, Thailand then Vietnam.
I received the parcel on Mar 18th (at 18.00). At that time, It had no dry ice and not in freezer. (Please see the photo).
I worried  about  condition during transportation of all the sample. I feedback to Dispatch Team Leader of NIBSC. He said that he need to consult with scientists about condition of products. Some of them could be shipped at room-temperature and so should be OK to use still. However some of them such as most of polio and influenza products must be -70degC all the time so they would have to be replaced.
After that he feedback to me that:
NIBSC would be replacing all the polio materials as they would not be fit for use.
Scientist has advised that the influenza antigens and antiserum reagents would be OK to use as long as they were not exposed to high temperatures.
However, if I feel quality was in doubt NIBSC could replace the influenza products as well. 
I were not sure about the quality of the influenza products so I required NIBSC replaced all polio and influenza products.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Hoa for sharing this photo. I am just having question what the reason for not sending the shipment in dry ice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naglaa.
    I'm sorry about this misunderstanding. NIBSC used dry ice in the shipment. But the shipment was lost in Germany, after that the found it and sent. It take more than 11 days. So when I received the shipment, It had no ice dry.

    ReplyDelete